Monday 2 July 2012

My day out drawing

On friday I had planned to visit Tessa Shedley Jordan, a fellow artist in the Society of East Anglian watercolor artists, who's work I massively admire, see pic above.

 Tessa was also present on the felixtowe abstraction workshop, and I was delighted to be invited to Tessa's to further explore the subject together, sadly, however she was ill and it had to be postponed, so I decided to use the day as it had meant to be, and so I set off to Cambridge in search of interesting shapes, and to liberate myself from the literal, as far as I am capable at this particular juncture!
I decided to start at Browns as I know it to be visually very stimulating, and they do good cakes! Yum!

I really liked the verticals going on here
and there were so many more I can add
to, or mix about with
I exaggerated the elliptical in this one and played with tone
to clarify each figure 



























Then I took myself off to the Fitzwilliam Gallery and thought it would be fun to do spot sketches of visitors walking about along with sculptures and portraits.
I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them yet, but I have heard of artists who never use photography, just do sketches, then go home and work them up into something else, my mind has always boggled at the genius of this, especially when what they produce looks like they had all there reference in the studio with them, I don't think I will be able to do that, but it would be fun and interesting to play around with it




 Altogether I had a really very enjoyable day, once I had gulped down any feelings of self consciousness.


No comments:

Post a Comment