Friday 31 August 2012

3 PLUMS AND A LIME

I painted this picture this summer, as I wanted to try and replicate a Ronald Jesty composition as closely as I could, to see how much I could learn from it, which was quite a lot when it came to it


The picture below is by RJ and I absolutely love it, along with all of RJ's work

I put tracing paper over the picture to try and work out the lines of composition in pencil, which are in my view fascinating.
I discovered the V shaped armature after I had finished, it had not occurred to me!
Notice as well that the distance between dish and edge are exactly the same all round, this is also the same measurements the distance between the center plum and yellow plum!

I know it's not everybody's cup of tea working things out as geometrically as this, but RJ's work makes my heart sing! And his compositions are a big part of it, which is why I want to learn as much from him as I can.

My painting at the top will be cropped similarly as RJ's when framed, but you will notice that I have found my natural pallet always veers toward the acid side, I can't seem to help myself can I!!!


P.S. This is also the same armature I was referring to in my painting of 'The sculptor' which has a similar construction.

No comments:

Post a Comment